Match report: Newsome FC 5 – 3 Idle FC

Posted on November 6, 2017


West Riding County Challenge Cup – Saturday 4th November 2017

Full-time: Newsome FC 5 – 3 Idle FC

Goals: Irving (x2), Mitchell

MOTM: Irving

Idle travelled to Huddersfield to face Newsome FC in the West Riding County Challenge Cup in what would prove to be a tough test against a team two tiers above Idle in the grassroots structure. This being said Idle had nothing to lose going into the game and were certainly up to the challenge.

There was a slight change in formation with Idle fielding a 4-5-1 formation, flooding the midfield with a central three in Carl Dawson, Tom Holmes and Tom Simonett, Ryan Mitchell and Adam Medley out wide and Aaron Irving leading the line as the lone front man.

The weekly changes in the back-line continued with Conor Halligan coming into central defence alongside Jamie Allen, Carl Brown starting right-back and Luke Gray at left-back with Marcus Strudwick between the posts. Idle also had a strong bench with Danny Rosconie, James Royal, Chris Carrigan, Jack Strudwick and Ben Baker waiting in the wings.

Both sides started the game relatively well, playing the ball out from the back and through midfield. Newsome’s two strikers were both physically strong and quick players and caused the Idle defence problems with their hold up play and runs in behind.

Newsome clearly had a game plan to get the ball wide early and in behind the Idle defence with passes between the full-backs and centre-backs. Although Idle held their own against the Huddersfield side, it was Newsome who took the lead after another pass in behind found the right-winger with space and time to take a touch before slotting between Strudwick’s legs to make it 1-0.

Idle were unfortunate to pick up two first half-injuries with Simonett limping off to be replaced by Carrigan who was then himself replaced by Jack Strudwick after a calf injury.

Despite being a goal down, Idle knew they were still in the game seeing plenty of the ball and creating chances with the best falling to Irving and Mitchell. It was Irving who eventually got the equaliser after some good play from Carl Brown at right-back to win a corner following a Dawson through-ball. Irving provided the finishing touch from the resulting corner.

Unfortunately, Newsome retook the lead swiftly after some good work from the number 9 who managed to battle his way through the Idle defence and lift the ball over Strudwick to make it 2-1.

Mitchell was unfortunate not to get a free-kick after being clattered by the Newsome keeper who had rushed off his line to claim the ball but careered out of his box leaving the ball behind and into the Idle midfielder who certainly came off worse for wear. Another injury to add to the list. The half-time whistle blew and the home team too the advantage into the break.

Newsome certainly knew they were in a game with Idle competing with the opposition all across the park. Rob Brook’s half-time team talk said as much with Marcus Strudwick echoing those thoughts. There was certainly something in it for the boys in blue in the second-half.

Idle started much the better side in the second-half and dominated large passages of play with Strudwick and Dawson’s influence on the ball controlling midfield and releasing Mitchell and Medley out wide with accurate passing.

The quality football paid off for Idle after two, quick-fire goals put the away side 2-3 up. Irving found the back of the net for his second of the game and Mitchell scored the pick of the bunch after overcoming his first half injury. The wingers bending run broke the Newsome offside trap before he rounded the goalkeeper and slotted the ball calmly into the open net.

Idle had shown desire and determination to get back into the game and were good value for the lead. However, Newsome still had the quality to turn the game around and managed to get themselves level after a deflected shot curled over Strudwick’s head to level the scores again.

Unfortunately, the momentum then swung in Newsome’s favour with several key decisions going against Idle. Luke Gray managed to get a shot in from outside the area which the Newsome keeper spilled and with Baker and Halligan following in the ball and the keeper ended up in the back of the net. The referee blew for a Newsome free-kick.

Newsome managed to take the lead once again with the wide men getting the ball in behind the Idle defence and squaring it for a Fifa-esque tap in at the far post.  The home side pressed their advantage with Idle trying to level the scores late on in the game and eventually added a fifth goal to make it 5-3.

Two penalty decision also went against Idle, one for a foul on Irving which the referee and a second on Halligan who was flattened in the box from a corner, the referee again waved away the Idle protests despite it being a clear penalty.

On another day the decisions could have been different, as it panned out Idle succumbed to a 5-3 defeat. Overall it was a great game of football well contested by both teams but it was Newsome who emerged with the victory and booked their place in the next round of the cup.

What was clear was that Idle held their own against a side two tiers above them in the league structure and with that level of performance there’s no reason why Idle can’t go on to win silverware again this season. The main thing the lads need to do is to convert these cup performances in victories in the league!

By Jamie Allen

Posted in: Football