Match report: Stanningley OB 3 – 0 Idle FC

Posted on October 2, 2017


Yorkshire Old Boys Shield – Saturday 30th September 2017

Full-time: Stanningley OB 3 – 0 Idle FC

MOTM: Chris Carrigan

Idle were keen to reverse last week’s Cup woes as they faced a repeat trip to Stanningley Old Boys. This time in the esteemed Yorkshire Shield. And whilst Idles priorities this season lie in the League, Manager Robert Brook was sure to reiterate the importance of a Cup Run.

Idle, who’s only competitive defeat came in the shape of a 4-1 loss at the hands of Stanningley Old Boys last Saturday, knew they were in for another tough encounter this time around.

The game began in a sluggish fashion, with neither side gaining any advantages with countless passes going astray. Stanningley knew Idle’s quick, free-flowing style of play and seemed to try and put a stop to it with a lot of high pressure in the midfield in an attempt to cut out the passing.

Carl Dawson appeared to bear the brunt of many of these challenges as he was taken from behind on numerous occasions.  In the same vain, questions were also raised as Aaron Irving appeared to be man handled several times, when attempting to hold the ball up on the edge of the opponent’s penalty area.

Stanningley, whose possession mainly resulted in long balls from the back for the early interchanges, forced their way into the lead after just 15 Minutes. A looping ball from midfield sailed over the Idle defence and landed kindly to the path of the Stanningley striker who was waiting on the edge of the 6-yard box, to slot home from close range. 1-0.

Idle failed to recover from going 1-0 and were 2-0 minutes later, though Stanningley’s second was wrapped in controversy. A similar ball over the top of the Idle defence was met by the Stanningley striker in acres of space due to the fact he was yards offside, travelled on his own towards goal and calmly slotted into the bottom corner. 2-0.

The entire Idle faithful were incensed by the decision not to rule the goal out for offside and goalkeeper Marcus Strudwick was later caught up in a ‘discussion’ with the young referee, after rushing from his goalmouth to the half way line.

Idle were clearly wound-up by the decision and managed to force some chances with balls into the box from Ryan Mitchell and Jack Strudwick. Idle’s best chance of the half came when Aaron Irving saw his header crash against the angle of the bar, though they could not grab a consolation before half-time.

Manager, Brook questioned Idle’s metal at half time and Idle knew that with one goal, they could easily get a result but the game seemed to be all but over in the early stages of the second half.

A ball into the box from Stanningley caught Carrigan on the back of the arm in the area and the referee awarded a penalty. Though Marcus Strudwick saved the resulting spot kick, guessing correctly and tipping around the post at his bottom left.

Strudwick was subsequently booked as the Referee claimed that the Idle goalkeeper’s celebrations were aimed at winding-up the Official. Unfortunately for Idle, it appeared they were involved in another encounter where the referee felt that he was more important than the game itself.

Idle were clearly spurred on by Strudwick’s heroics in goal and managed to cause problems in the Stanningley defence, with balls into the box that resulted in countless throw-ins and corners.

However, momentum was slowed mid-way into the second half when Idle full-back, Jamie Allen was dismissed for a late challenge on the Stanningley skipper. A loose ball in midfield was legitimately fought for by Allen, who was unfortunate not to take the ball from what appeared at first glance to be a clean tackle. The Stanningley skipper was also sent for an early shower, after he wrestled with Allen following the challenge.

With both sides forced to ten men, Idle made several changes in midfield in an attempt to attack the weakened Stanningley line. But they were caught out on the break with 10 Minutes to go after Stannningley broke with the ball in midfield and the resulting play lead to them hitting a low drive past Strudwick into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. The home side were resilient in seeing the game out and managed to record a second consecutive victory over Idle. Full-time: Stanningley OB 3-0 Idle FC.

Idle return to League duty next Saturday and will be keen to get back to winning ways at home to Rothwell, who have won 3 of their 4 league games so far.

By George Collins

Posted in: Football